Medical Billing Basics Online Course
Begin your healthcare career journey with our specialized medical billing basics course, offering valuable insights into this dynamic field.
The rising demand for skilled medical billers opens doors in hospitals, clinics, and skilled nursing facilities.
Minnesota West Community & Technical College, in collaboration with Medi-Sota, Inc., offers an interactive online course, equipping you with essential skills and deep understanding.
This 11-13 week self-paced program suits both employed individuals seeking skill enhancement and prospective students entering the field, guided by our dedicated instructor. Shape your career today!
The Online course begins January 24, 2024. Please sign up by January 16th so all students have course materials and information in a timely manner.
For more details, Click HERE for the Brochure
Duration: 11-13 weeks (Estimate 5-10 hours per week), Online Only & Self-Paced with Instructor assistance and guidance.
Explore the fundamentals of healthcare insurance, billing, and reimbursement methods with our comprehensive entry-level course. Gain insights into an array of essential topics, including payor categories, APCs (Ambulatory Payment Classifications), prospective payment systems, the intricacies of the revenue cycle, the chargemaster, RBRVs (Resource-Based Relative Value Scale), billing processes, and regulatory compliance guidelines.
- Identify & understand how to complete insurance claims, including to 3rd party plans.
- Explain the role of a managed care organization.
- Discuss the life cycle of an insurance claim.
- Explain retention of records law.
- Interpret a chargemaster.
- Evaluate the revenue cycle management.
- Complete UB-40 & CMS-1500 forms.
- Differentiate between fraud & abuse.
- Determine pre-certification or pre-authorization needs, including eligibility for services from documentation.
- Intro to Health Insurance
- Managed Health Care
- Revenue Cycle Management
- Legal and Regulatory Issues
- CMS Reimbursement
- CMS-1500 and UB-04 Claims
- Commercial Insurance & Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Worker’s Compensation
- Rural Health Clinics & Critical Access Hospitals
- SNF & LTC Billing
Payment is due in full at the time of registration. Please note that the registration fee covers the class only; it does not include the book. Attendees are responsible for purchasing the book independently. Additional purchase information will be emailed to each attendee after registration is confirmed. Registrations without payment information will not be accepted.
Course Fee: $749.00 (due immediately for registration to be approved)
Book w/ Internet Connect Access: $150
Please complete the registration form by clicking the following link:
Registrants are responsible for purchasing the book Additional book information will be included in the registration email confirmation.
Contact Jennifer Gearman with any general questions at 320-769-2269 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**You will receive an email from Roxanne.email@example.com to help you access the online class. A second email will be sent to you once you have successfully accessed the online course content. At that time you will be given instructions on how to order the book (the book purchase is not included in the class registration fee). If you have any other questions, please feel free to email Roxanne.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507-372-3468.**
For billing, IT, & materials questions please contact:
MN West Community & Technical College
- You are not legally obligated to provide any of the requested information on the registration form. However, our office may have difficulty providing adequate services if we do not receive the appropriate information. This information will be kept confidential.
- Refund Policy: Cancellations must be made no later than 10 business days prior to the course. The full course fee will be charged if cancellation is made in less than 10 business days. Full refunds will be given for all classes cancelled by Minnesota West Community & Technical College. Registration is transferable to another person.
- Equal Opportunity: Minnesota West Community & Technical College is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment and education opportunity.
- Sexual Harassment: Any Customized Training Services student or staff member who believes he/she may have been harassed should report the incident to Karen Miler, Human Resources, Minnesota West Community & Technical College, 1011 First St. W., Canby MN 56220, 507-223-7252.
- Senior Citizen: Senior citizens taking course(s) through Minnesota West Community and Technical College Customized Training Services/Continuing Education will be charged according to Minnesota Statute 135A.52, which states: A senior citizen taking a closed enrollment contract training or professional continuing education courses must pay the regular tuition charge for the course and is not eligible for a free/or reduced rate.
- ADA: This document can be made available in alternative formats such as large print, Braille, or audiotape. For TTW communication, contact the Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529 and then ask them to place a call to the campus. If you need an accommodation to enable you to fully participate in this activity, please contact the campus two weeks prior to the training for supplemental services for persons with disabilities.